I was super sick and queasy almost all of the pregnancy. My hormones were all over the place and I had every typical symptom of pregnancy! Not to mention the stress this little on put on us during gestation!
To start out with the craziness, we were so set it was a boy and we even had names picked out, then on the 20 week ultrasound we found out we were having another GIRL!! We were all blown away! Almost all of our family and friends were on the "little man" bandwagon. Kevin's first words were, "Are you sure?" and "Well, I'm gonna buy another gun." Haha!
Then to start the stressful period of the pregnancy, that was also what I think was a period of immense growth between Kevin and I, we got results back from the ultrasound saying that the baby's measurements were borderline abnormal. The perinatologist suggested that we go back for some monitoring.
When we went back in about 4 weeks later the measurements we were worried about had increased. While everything else about baby looked in perfect condition, the cerebral ventricles in her brain were enlarged. We were counseled about what this could mean for our baby from everything from signs of Down's Syndrome or other chromosomal abnormalities to some chance of everything being completely normal if it doesn't continue to increase. We were advised to start with some non-invasive genetic screening and see if that could tell us more about what was going on.
Our world seemed to almost shrink down to that moment and freeze, that is the only way I can explain it. There was even a small possibility we could loose her just before or after birth with these abnormalities! We were also told odds were more in our favor already however, because she had already made it this far in gestation. Then just like that, when I allowed even the smallest amount of positive outcomes to be what I held onto, I had a wave of peace come over me and a very distinct feeling of calm and comfort that I can only explain came from my Father in Heaven. I knew in that moment, whatever was to come, that I could not do it, but we - Kevin, The Lord, and I - could. This large roller coaster of emotion and huge learning and growing experience seemed to last hours, when in fact, it was a small moment, maybe just a minute, but a powerful one at that, spent holding my husbands had and simply looking into his eyes and agreeing that we would love the journey to come together no matter what.
The blood test was taken and we waited. We waited for so long!
Then the results came. The results that, over the phone, at home alone, told me that our baby girl's cells flagged for Turner's Syndrome, or Monosomy X. A female sex-gene linked abnormality where she will only be with one X chromosome. Again, the same feelings came as before as I was told we should expect a baby with stunted growth, some mild physical abnormalities, and a non-functional reproductive tract. First fear and sadness, and then hope and light as I learned that this does not normally affect nervous or cognitive development.
Then a more invasive test, an amniocentesis, was recommended as soon as possible along with another monitoring ultrasound for further results. An amnio would mean they place a needle into the amniotic fluid and draw a sample in order to test the baby's direct cells for abnormalities. This test would give us concrete, for sure answers. We headed to Kalispell that night for further counseling and the next steps.
Ultimately I debated over the amnio for a few weeks, got a priesthood blessing, and was almost decided I was not going to do it. Then after talking with a friend, Rochelle, in the head of L&D at the hospital I decided I would do the test, in order to best prepare staff for the medical needs baby may have at birth since respiratory complications and muscle function issues were common.
So went in for the scheduled testing day in mid December and made the compromise to wait just a little longer until I was past 32 weeks gestation in case of the small chance it induces early labor.
When the time came for the amniocentesis we asked for a family fast for the amnio to go smoothly and also for the baby's ventricles to stabilize. I was very nervous and didn't really know what to expect. The whole procedure really lasted all of about 15 seconds, and aside from some expected uterine cramping, was altogether uneventful. We also found out during the ultrasound that the baby's ventricles had not gotten any larger, so that was a good sign as well - another testimony builder.
Waiting for the results was one of the longest waiting periods I have ever been through!
The day the results came in the Perinatologist called me and let me know that the baby's chromosomes looked even more perfect than we could have hoped for! We were going to continue to watch the ventricles, but Dr. Guinn was not very concerned about them at all since they had not continued to grow. This meant no abnormalities and no complications expected at birth! I cried on the phone, after the call, and in the subsequent calls to family!
I honestly felt like I was finally able to enjoy my pregnancy and bond with my new baby without any hesitation. It was a great feeling and one I realized I had taken for granted with Nora.
Then we just had the regular, no sleep, always achey and tired, last trimester of pregnancy. I remember at this point just being so ready to have the baby and be done being huge and uncomfortable, as well as to be done stressing over this little one I hadn't even met yet. But we just kept waiting ;)
Here's some pictures through this pregnancy!
| Our first ultrasound at 14 weeks, that I practically had to beg my OB for! |
| Oh ya, I ran a 5k MudRun with my work while pregnant and with a cold! And I finished! |
| 16 weeks and first belly pic! |
| 19 weeks |
| Our announcement to the world :) |
| 26 weeks |
| 28 weeks - Thanksgiving! |
| 3D Ultrasound at our 28 week checkup |
| 31 weeks - headed to a work party! |
![]() |
| 37 weeks |
![]() |
| 38 weeks |
![]() |
| The BIG day, 39 weeks, and just heading over to the hospital after my appointment with my Midwife |



No comments:
Post a Comment